Postponed from 24th February 2021.
The highly-acclaimed Yiddish Twist Orchestra is an all-star band whose music pays homage to the genius and paranoia of Bergman, the unjustly forgotten beatnik funkateer who got the slums and salons on both sides of the water dancing to that pounding London beat.Following up their first hugely successful album ‘Let’s’, the band will be playing tracks from their new EP ‘Go Mani Go’ featuring:
- twist-neck guitarist Ben Mandelson (3 Mustaphas 3, Billy Bragg)
- reedman David Bitelli (Elton John, Loose Tubes)
- Hammond and keys maestro Robin Harris (La Machine)
- sizzling Latin trombonist Paul Taylor (Snowboy, Roberto Pla)
- dazzling trumpeter Simon Finch (Eric Clapton, Paul Weller, Jools Holland)
- rhythm kings Simon Edwards on bass and Roy Dodds on drums (Fairground Attraction and many more)
- Soho's retro king Natty Bo on vocals (Ska Cubano, Top Cats)
Late 1950s London saw the rise of the dirtiest, most deliriously danceable music: a delirious mix of West Indian Calypso, mambo, surf guitar, classic Yiddish songs and English beat rhythms that they called 'der shvitz'. When years later it crossed the Atlantic in diluted form as 'the twist' its roots were forgotten, and remained so, with the exception of a select few in the know who recognise Willy Bergman
, its founder and greatest bandleader, as the lost hero of the sex n drugs British music revolution.
"A blazing brass section, two nifty connoisseurs of the electric guitar, and a drummer with rhythm deep in his bones... Yiddish Twist are one band not to miss"
- Roots Of The World
This concert is part of a short series of socially distanced world music events. There is a ticket offer if you book for Yiddish Twist Orchestra
, Najma Akhtar
and Omar Puente Quintet
- All adults and children 11+ must wear a face covering (except when eating or drinking!)
- Seating will be at socially distanced tables of 1, 2, 3 and 4 and in bubbles of seats on the balconies. Please ensure you select all seats at the table or in a bubble on the balcony or you will not be able to proceed with the booking.
- Please book in household or support bubbles.
- Hand sanitiser will be available around the venue.
Please ensure you choose a table/bubble with the appropriate capacity for your group and select all seats at the table or in the group in order to proceed with the booking.
During the booking process you will be asked for a Contact Tracing number. We're asking for this data for NHS Test and Trace. We won't use it for any marketing purposes, but we may also use this number if we need to contact you about your order. If you want your phone number deleted after you have attended the event/s you are booking for, please email us and we will confirm these details have been permanently removed for you.
This is a live show and will be performed to a reduced capacity audience ensuring your safety whilst also remaining within government guidelines.
5.30pm and 8.15pm
The Apex, Bury St Edmunds
Price includes £1 booking fee
This event is promoted by The Apex